Creator Lutheran Church

Monday, December 03, 2007


November 28, 2007 – Soup & Bread, Concert and Choir – Singing a New Song

The John Nilsen concert last night was a kick off to what will be our Wednesday evening Advent services in December. I appreciated the soup, bread and conversation last night. There was the opportunity to get acquainted with people I had not met before who were with Dave and Vera.

Also there was a chance to find out what was going on with friends after being so busy last week. During the meal I thanked Gretchen for the loan of Dorothee Soelle’s Theology for Skeptics, which I am still reading. Soelle writes about feminist theology and other reflections she has on God. She writes about God suffering as we suffer. There are ideas that are revelation to me.

Just before the concert Peter talked to me about Aldous Huxley’s The Perennial Philosophy. His excitement about Huxley is evident. I have read Huxley’s novels but this book is new to me. My conversations with Peter and Gretchen make me reflect on what consistently inspires me about this congregation. The support for our mutual spiritual seeking delights and challenges me.

Huxley’s book comes from many sources; Christian, Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist and Taoist. The Perennial Philosophy is actually expressed most succinctly in the Sanskrit formula, tat tvam asi ('That art thou'); the Atman, or immanent eternal Self, is one with Brahman, the Absolute Principle of all existence; and the last end of every human being, is to discover the fact for himself, to find out who he really is. I appreciate that we share our explorations of God without worrying that the other will misunderstand our Christianity.

The concert was intimate. Nilsen interspersed his own songs with well-known Christmas carols. The highlight for many was the concert closer John Lennon’s Imagine. There was beauty, longing and a clarity in the way he played it that was unique to his performance.

After the concert was choir practice. Kelly had called people and the number who came to practice reflected his efforts. Over twenty came this evening.

We focused on Agnus Dei. There are old musical moments that I hear again that the choir is making new for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home