Creator Lutheran Church

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March 18th, 2007

Christ be with me / Christ within me
Christ behind me / Christ before me
Christ beside me / Christ to win me
Christ to comfort me and restore me
Christ beneath me / Christ above me
Christ in quiet / Christ in danger
Christ in hearts of all that love me
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger

--St. Patrick's Breastplate


St. Patrick's day was celebrated yesterday. The Gospel for today's services was the story of the Prodigal Son. Pastor Dayle asked who we identified with most in the story, the elder brother who stayed home, the father or the prodigal son?

Pastor Dayle preached to the point that the father's actions was a win / win situation that the older brother did not see. I was surprised when she went on to suggest that the elder brother did not see that justice would come in time because the younger brother would have to work harder and longer because of the prodigal lifestyle he indulged in.

What Pastor Dayle suggested to me could be extended to a win / win /win situation. Obviously the relationship between the prodigal son and the father changed but, even though it is only implied in the story, I can’t help but feel the relationship will change for the better between the father and the elder brother as well without the younger son paying penance for bad choices.

To listen to the elder brother’s words, he has worked like a slave (or a servant depending on the translation) to his father in the fields. He has not seen the side of his father that is clear in the story. Perhaps he now understands that all his father has is his in a way he did not before. He can work not from obligation but from gratitude and joy.

There possibilities the elder brother has open now he did not see before. The celebrations with the elder brother’s friends can happen. We all can be niggardly as we work and build our lives and not celebrate when we should. The elder brother puts this on the father but now there is another life for him as well of joy instead of servitude. It is the elder brother’s life to do with as he wants because of his father's understanding and generosity.

The choir sang God Is Our Refuge and Strength at both services for the Psalmody. The congregation sang A Mighty Fortress is Our God with the choir during the performance. There was a drama about it; a beginning, middle and particularly end that caught the ear. There is, for me, a joy in singing the words to A Mighty Fortress is Our God that I grew up with in four part harmony. This is another example of the constant struggle between tradition and reformation that need to be balanced.

In the Adult Education hour we are currently engaged in prayer exercises from Brent Dahlsing’s Grounded in Prayer. It was surprising how many differences each person has in my group regarding the prayer they find effective.

The book addresses old questions about prayer. Many are doing the daily exercises as they are set out in the book. This focuses on intercessory prayer and intercessory prayers do not come easily to me. The book addresses some of those difficulties. I believe expectations and answers I have held regarding prayer are part of what is so troublesome for me. I want to focus more on the process rather than outcome of prayer. There is something about praying and then looking for God's answer with a certainty that the answer will be recognized that I need to understand.

There will be more sessions and more chances to compare our understanding of prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home