Creator Lutheran Church

Sunday, January 07, 2007

January 7th, 2007

Epiphany; where we celebrate the light of Christ. Oddly, the Church calendar and my readings coincide again. I have studied James Joyce for the past month or so and epiphany is central to his writings, not the Christmas Star of Bethlehem but epiphany of thought; of understanding.

Pastor Dayle preached Christ’s new light was an epiphany for all people. All people are invited into the light of Christ. Christ’s light shines on all. God’s gift, this baby, is a gift for all. It is outsiders, foreigners, Gentiles who are guided to Jesus by the star.

In my childhood church uplifted me but there was always a caution that Jesus’ message must be moderated. There was respect for the church insofar as it supported an ethical system for society to follow. If practical matters conflicted with that ethical system common sense won out.

This did not promise much of a journey to my mind so, for many years, I followed science and art more purposefully than religion to satisfy the inner need for some transcendence. I recently read again Joyce’s definition of Epiphany and it captures what I was after in those years:

This is the moment which I call epiphany. First we recognize that the object is one integral thing, then we recognize that it is an organized composite structure, a thing in fact: finally, when the relation of the parts is exquisite, when the parts are adjusted to the special point, we recognize that it is that thing which it is. Its soul, its whatness, leaps to us from the vestment of its appearance. The soul of the commonest object, the structure of which is so adjusted, seems to us radiant. The object achieves its epiphany.

This definition left me as elated as the Story of the Wise Men. Joycean aesthetics, especially as outlined in Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, is very seductive especially because Joyce’s ideas describe the experience of perception of an aesthetic object where “the mind is arrested and raised above desire and loathing”. This may be achieved (or not) in many ways; down many paths. Currently I am again in a church setting with the search and grateful that Creator provides an atmosphere in which this exploration is not only possible but encouraged.

Between services the Adult Ed hour was on Faithful and Courageous. Pastor Dayle gave the introduction and Teresa led us in to what to talk about in our small group sessions. The hour went by quickly.

We each shared a childhood fear in the small group session. Fear of dogs, tornadoes, and drowning…

We moved onto fears we have in confiding with one another and the fears we might have in making evangelical statements. It is a good discussion. We talked about moving from statements into action (for example, what does radical trust and love mean for us when, as Christians, we are really doing nothing different from our secular neighbors. Will saying that we are Christians inspire us to something more?). Too quickly it is time for second service.

I look forward to next week’s Adult Ed hour that Teresa will lead. I will lead on the 21st.

2 Comments:

  • Epiphany is my favorite name of a church festival. I'm reminded of the common use of the word as meaning a sudden inspiration or insight from out of nowhere. i.e., a gift from above. That leads to the visual of the ray of light suddenly piercing the clouds and shining down on the recipient of the epiphany. From there I can draw a parallel of the star's light and Jesus as a true "gift from above".

    Plus, it's just a plain fun word to say out loud.

    Coincidentally, I've recently taken Ulysses out of the library, although I haven't started it yet.

    Greg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 PM  

  • Thanks for describing the parallel between the common use of Epiphany and the star's light. It is a great word.

    When you wrote about Ulysses it reminded me of the first time I read Ulysses. I ended up relying heavily on Stuart Gilbert's exegesis just to get a handle on where I was and who was narrating what. Gilbert made Ulysses alot more fun for me.

    I'll be interested to hear about your reading this time around.

    By Blogger Gary, at 6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home