Creator Lutheran Church

Sunday, August 20, 2006

August 20th, 2006 - David Lee's Liturgy in Sunday Service

When I reflect on Creator's blessings I am humbled. For example, I never met musicians who wrote liturgies before coming to this congregation and now I know two who have commited their time and talent to that end. I already discussed Kelly’s liturgy in an earlier blog entry. I look forward to experiencing that liturgy next Sunday. Today the service's setting was David Lee’s liturgy.

This is gorgeous music. Glory To God starts with rich, full notes emphasizing the glory. That glory is made home, the place where the piece needs to return to. When it moves to song from that center David quickly creates a tension in the music that builds until the glory comes again. This tension happens during the petition when the words "Lord Jesus Christ, the only son of God / you take away our sins, have mercy on us / seated at the right hand of God, receive our prayers" and the music answers the petition with the" glory" home.

David's music bursts into beauty. The Path To You is a perfect example. This starts with a simple melody, a simple statement. It is the quiet moment the lyric describes. The with "Fill me with Your presence" it builds into a dramatic "Find me, guide me show me the path". The musical passage lasts until the last line where "Show me the path to You" is back to a simple prayer.

The Great Thanksgiving leads us into the mood of the Sanctus. This is not necessarily a joyous Sanctus. It is a Sanctus that captures the awe in these words. The praise is sound, again quiet with dignity which emphasizes the words are describing.

The sung response to the Eucharistic Prayer continues the mood of the Sanctus starting with the declaration "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again" it moves into an invitation "Amen, come Lord Jesus" and ends modulating up in key with the invitation "Amen, come Holy Spirit". The melody basically moves up then down moving up a note at the end of the phrase which is underscores attempt reaching up and opening our hearts to the higher spirit of God coming down.

Lamb Of God moves in minor and flatted chords. This is the mystery of Eucharist captured in this music. As it is sung there is a feeling of being part of something that is beyond individual joy or sorrow, something timeless.

A congregational favorite of David's compositions is I Lift Up My Soul. Sung as it is in the liturgy - during communion - the first part suggests sheer energy, an acknowledgement and release knowing you are part of Christ's body "I lift up my soul to you, all that I am is Yours". Like David's other music there is a complication in the second part, a prayer to "receive my troubled heart, lead me in you truth, and show me your mercy".

There is a powerful combination in Kelly and David's liturgies, and a congregation who are familiar with both. Together they lift the services with these liturgies in our hearts. I am moved beyond words to be a part of incredible worship experiences when they happen like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home