Creator Lutheran Church

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

June 6th, 2006

Received an email from Toni. Sad news.

Pr. Dayle's brother, Doug suffered a heart attack followed by a stroke, and brain hemmoraging on Sunday. He is going to be removed from life support this afternoon. This is a terrible shock to Pr. Dayle's whole family. They are coming down from Spokane and will be staying with Dayle and Peter. The funeral service will be later this week at Creator.

What can be said at a moment like this? There is a sense of closeness and distance, not having really known her brother well ( I met him around Christmas at Creator several years back) . And what is in my heart at this moment is all the courage I have seen in Pastor Dayle and Peter in how they have dealt with deaths within the congregation and encouraged others when there have been losses in their families.

Pastor Dayle helped the congregation come to terms with Dianne's death. She talked about the Communion of Saints when a group from Creator last gathered with Dianne in her house. The language so evocative I could sense something of my father's presence at that moment. It helped me be present and honor that last moment and memory of Dianne together with us in life.

I reflect on a conversation I had with Irene who was concerned that she wasn't praying enough or in the right way for families in trouble. Pastor Dayle told Irene "Aas long as they are in your thoughts they are in your prayers". I could see how much that had comforted Irene.

Pastor Dayle's eulogy for Franya's during the funeral at Creator also comes to mind. The eulogy conveyed the respect and love people had for Franya and was a springboard for sharing strong memories of a strong and devoted life. When I talked with Peter after the funeral he impressed me with the conversation we had about what was happening at that moment in so many hearts.

Lastly, Pastor Dayle's article The Community Came To Me, which was published in The Lutheran, comes into my heart again tonight. Pastor Dayle wrote about her family's reaction when her granddaughter, Makenna, had a seizure and was diagnosed with a stroke and blood clots on her brain. She also described how during this time of joy and concern that the congregation helped her family with meals, thoughts and prayers. Pastor Dayle wrote:

I’m so proud of them for their courage, their stamina, their ability to remain connected in the midst of crisis. So when that old question comes up: “Where is God in the midst of our pain?” my answer remains: “God is with us in the midst of pain, guiding us, keeping us centered, lifting us up, flooding us with tears.”

God’s love comes to us in the affection and concern given in community, the body of Christ. And so it happened for me, when I couldn’t be the pastor, the community came to me.

Our thoughts and prayers are with this whole family tonight.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home